TwinsMom

Default Weathered Cedar Shingles

The previous owner of my home in Southeastern Mass. did a
quickie-to-sell paint job on the cedar shingles of my home. The side
that gets sun and wind all day has turned into a checkboard of peeling
latex Benjamin Moore stain. The areas that were primed seem to be
adhering to the shingles. The peeling stain shows no primer and lots
of wood fibres. Not sure if the shingles were dirty or wet or too hot
or all of the above when painted. The clapboard side is fine and the
mostly shaded, non-windy side of the house has held up very well.

What I would like is to turn back the clock and apply Cabot Semi solid
in Cape Cod gray. But, alas it's not possible.

We are powerwashing and scraping and sanding where possible. We
expect to continue to have a peeling problem forever and have accepted
the idea of touch ups in the future. Top concern for us is peeling.
Fading away of color and product would be preferable to peeling.

Cost of the paint is neglible so with that would you......
Prep by using Wood brightener products, powerwashing and sanding then

a) Cabots Oil primer and Solid Acrylic stain
or
b) Sherwin Williams Acrylic Woodscapes directly to the shingles
or
c) Sikkens Rubbol directly on the shingles

Please no ranting about powerwashing. We can't get sandblasters in
our area which would be the optimal way of handling this problem.

THANKs in advance for any advice or ranting. I am really obsessing
over this and have been for awhile.

-Terri