Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical safety requirements in a rental property

"Dave N" wrote in message
Slightly OT as not strictly DIY...

I've just had an electrical safety check done (through the managing agent)
on a small rental house that I own (now a legal requirement), and the
contractor is stating that three things need to be remediated: 1.
Replacement of some old R80 spotlights with GU10 fittings

Is that really a requirement of a safety check, surely the bulbs that you
put in a socket is a user issue. If they are of a standard type (which IIRC
R80 is, they can easily be replace with LED bulls of the same fitting - a
pound each at a the um, pound shop, if there really is a law requiring such
bulbs.

2. Earth bonding

OK, give him that one (as long as it really is substandard)

and 3. Moving the cooker switch to under the counter top.

AIUI the requirement is that it should be remote from the cooker by some
(unknown to me) distance.

Under countertop seems a bit obscure

There isn't even an under counted top space in my kitchen to put one - every
space under counter top has a cupboard/appliance in it. and in a small
kitchen who the flip would design it otherwise?

He also appears to want rather a lot for that. The last check only 5 years
ago didn't require any of these.

get that guy back in again then

using the one contacted by the MA just leaves LLs open to all the normal
kick-back scams.

lesson learned. Never ever use their "man" again.

tim