Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Car lamp bases / LED replacement?

T i m wrote:
I was going though some stuff last night and came across an old Sealey
12V lead light a mate (who had his own car repair garage) gave me,
like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cL8AA...Zy/s-l1600.jpg

After testing that it works, I cleaned it up, fitted a new lead (it
had been cut short) and crock clips and noted the lamp was a frosted
incandescent type, 12V/24W.

I have actually used it when working on the car at his and liked it
because it has a very strong clip and a strong ball joint thing so
could be pointed where you want (and stayed there).

So, whilst it is all up and working, I think I'd like to look for an
LED lamp replacement, basically to save power but am having difficulty
pinning down what that might be.

It's a 15mm diameter, non-offset pin, twin contact (that's the bit
that seems to make it more complicated), bayonet lamp and I'd like an
LED that has 'all round' illumination like the original incandescent
lamp, so you get a nice general light, rather than a beam.

I think I have found a suitable lamp:

LED Lamp S8 BAY15D (MCS8Y15D16NS30DCW) ... but they seem quite
expensive and often from

... but if I knew how to accurately describe that particular base, it
might help me pin it down?

Is it a P21W / R335 as that doesn't seem to help or is there a more
common name for them please?

Cheers, T i m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet_mount#Light_bulbs

If you need a better price, pump that part number into Google.
I know in the past, those LED replacement bulbs had ridiculous
pricing. Try a local auto parts store, and check the
"ricer aisle" for LED bulbs like that.

The datasheet I got for your part number, isn't exactly very good.
But that's all I can find for it.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1564831.pdf

- the LED might overheat, if there is a globe cover over
the whole assembly. For the number of service hours this
application will receive, it won't matter.
- the light output might not be uniform with respect
to direction. More light from the side than the end.
In a car light assembly, the reflector and diffuser
fix this.
- the lamps with LED filament chains might be no more
robust than an incandescent, when you drop your
inspection light. The product above appears to use
discrete LEDs which are likely sitting on a flat
substrate.

A proper datasheet for a product like that, should
stretch to about 30 pages in the PDF.

Paul