Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Electrical safety requirements in a rental property

Dave N wrote:
Slightly OT as not strictly DIY...

I've just had an electrical safety check done (through the managing agent)
on a small rental house that I own (now a legal requirement), and the contractor
is stating that three things need to be remediated: 1. Replacement of some
old R80 spotlights with GU10 fittings 2. Earth bonding and 3. Moving the
cooker switch to under the counter top. He also appears to want rather
a lot for that. The last check only 5 years ago didn't require any of these.

I can understand the wisdom of the earth bonding requirements in particular,
but am uncertain of the real need for the other two (the lights are in
the living room, and half the country's electric cookers probably have
high level switches above them). Have the regulations changed since the
last inspection, and if so do they really have to be applied retrospectively?

The cooker switch seems very strange to me. Having the switch
relatively inaccessible under the counter seems a retrograde step.

Ideally it should, I suppose, be to one side of the hob (assuming
that's what it's above at the moment) but given the size of some
kitchens nowadays there has to be a bit of compromise.

--
Chris Green
ยท