Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave N[_5_] Dave N[_5_] is offline

Default Electrical safety requirements in a rental property

Slightly OT as not strictly DIY...

I've just had an electrical safety check done (through the managing agent) on a small rental house that I own (now a legal requirement), and the contractor is stating that three things need to be remediated: 1. Replacement of some old R80 spotlights with GU10 fittings 2. Earth bonding and 3. Moving the cooker switch to under the counter top. He also appears to want rather a lot for that. The last check only 5 years ago didn't require any of these..

I can understand the wisdom of the earth bonding requirements in particular, but am uncertain of the real need for the other two (the lights are in the living room, and half the country's electric cookers probably have high level switches above them). Have the regulations changed since the last inspection, and if so do they really have to be applied retrospectively?

TIA,

David.