Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Schottky diode in SM PSU o/p?

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 21:51:22 +0100, T i m wrote:

snip

After leaving it disconnected for a while ... I cracked the PSU open
with my toffee hammer and gave the board a look over, nothing
obviously burned and no dry joints etc. I checked the bridge rec and a
couple diode over and they seemed ok, but an axial series diode (SJ220
from memory) on the output that was driving a cap that went to the
remote charger module seemed to be short?

Just a quick update for the records ... I replaced the diode with the
right / same one, taped the PSU together, stuck my DMM on 200V DV on
the output and gingerly turned it on. There was a slight pause and
then the DMM showed the voltage quickly (but not instantly) ramping up
to 20 volts. ;-)

I switched it off, unplugged it and watched the output drop back down
to 0V and then soldered the wires back onto the charger clip, screwed
it back together and slid it onto the battery.

Plugged in, turned on, a second or so pause then the green 'Charging'
LED started flashing wahoo! ;-)

I'll leave it till it indicates it's fully charged then seal the PSU
back up again [1] and should have a happy mate. ;-)

Thanks to all those who responded ... another load of stuff (charger,
battery, drill) that has been saved from the waste ... for the sake of
a few pence worth of diode (and my free time of course, which is the
big issue for those not like us g [2]).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I will leave him with the instruction that he's not to pass the
thing onto anyone else.

[2] Now to try and find out why our soup maker was working fine one
minute and then completely dead the next. ;-(