Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fibre.

On 13/10/2020 11:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:37:30 +0100, AJH wrote:

How long since you got fibre to the cabinet? I only have copper to the
house and it's 50 years old and just a screwed junction box , I am now
considering fibre to the cabinet as fibre to the premises is not
available, but wonder how noisy the last bit of copper is,

Plug your landline number into:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

That'll give you lots of info about your line and exchange. The rates
it quotes are generally pretty accurate.

I can hear a hum on 17070 which I am sure degrades my ADSL connection.

There's a bit of hum on our ADSL2+ I don't think it has any effect at
all. 50 Hz is way out of the band used by ADSL, the uplink carriers
don't start until 26.075 kHz and the downlink ones go up to 2.2 MHz.
What does knock back the acheivable ADSL speed are strong LW and MW
broadcast stations, which varies between day and night of course.

If the hum is really loud it *may* have and effect but then just
report a POTS vault and get it fixed.

A hum may not of itself be a problem but it is usually indicative of a
ground loop, which can be.

--
€œIt is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on