Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Fibre.

AJH wrote:
On 13/10/2020 14:19, Andy Burns wrote:
AJH wrote:

any suggestions for a reasonable modem/router to replace my old
netgear adsl one?

Most ISPs will "give" you a router ...

Mine won't and now they appear to buy their telecoms services from
talktalk a firm I had terrible problems with a decade ago.

Who are your ISP?

A cheap option is a BT Homehub 5a installed with OpenWRT:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-HOME-H...r/164260334643
(no experience with that particular seller)

It's actually a decent little router, and putting OpenWRT makes it a very
flexible beast. Downside is it's not preconfigured for your ISP and you'll
have to do a little setup. I think it'll do ADSL and VDSL so you can set it
up before you switch over.

Wifi performance is respectable but not top of the range.

It appears VDSL speeds are slightly less than some other models. There are
apparently some VDSL firmware tweaks that can be done to improve that.
I don't know if that only affects the top end of the speed range (ie 76
dropping down to 70Mbps or whatever).

Theo