Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Fibre.

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 10:58:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/10/2020 09:17, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 09:09:19 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/10/2020 08:46, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 12 October 2020 22:56:02 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 15:38:45 +0100, alan_m wrote:

From memory the contract had to be with EE.

Most if not all none Openreach physical broadband providers only
offer a single ISP be that one they also run or one contracted in. So
no choice of ISP like you get of OPENreach.

When FTTP was installed for us, we had very little choice of ISP. Most wouldn't touch us.

A quick check suggests that there are still problems.

We found that many checkers said they could supply fibre, but when they found out it was FTTP only, they would not offer anything. But their websites often continued to make offers based on FTTC. (It is because our copper is so bad, we couldn't get even halfway acceptable broadband until FTTP was laid. Totally unsuitable for FTTC. But the ISPs don't know/understand that.)

get a better isp

How? When most ISPs simply WILL NOT handle FTTP.

I contacted pretty much every ISP in the UK which handles any fibre. Ended up with a choice of two or three, IIRC. Including BT who were least expensive.

Well Idnet are no more expensive than BT and handle fttp

Yes - just checked back my emails.

Their site refused to accept we had FTTP.

When I emailed, their offer was significantly more expensive than BT, had a set-up fee, and longer lead time.

Although we don't actually use it, BT included a phone connection. Nice to be there for emergency use and spam calls.