Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Doorbell push indication?

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:33:21 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:22:10 +0100, T i m wrote:

Maybe an audio 'repeater' in / behind the bell push (cellphone
speaker?) would be better than a LED, even if it was only a momentary
'Beep', as you pressed the button?

I think a beep when button pushed is a better indication that the
button has worked than a flashing LED.

Agreed, doesn't require any looking but could be missed [1] by the
current postie who regularly wears some Beat headphones. ;-)

How about a self resonating magnetic(*) beeper across a resistor in
series with the bell push? Resistor value "adjusted on test" to drop
enoough volts for the beeper but not to stop the ding-dong
ding-donging.

I like it, because it's in series there is nothing going on when the
button isn't pressed. ;-)

(*) Magentic as I'm not sure how tolerant a piezo beeper would be to
the back EMF from the ding-dong- solneoide.

Assuming there isn't a diode on there ATM, couldn't I fit such at the
bell end (oooh, Mrs) in any case?

So I'm looking for as low as possible 'buzzer' of some sort and maybe
start with a pot to set the threshold (buzz vol V reliable Ding-dong)
and then replace it with a fixed resistor.

Actually, ATM I have 4 x NiMh C's in there so am already dropping some
volts so could probably go back to 4 Alkaline if need be.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Couldn't I also have said but high efficiency LED in parallel with
the buzzer (possibly with it's own load resistor)?