Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating around the supply cable

On 12 Oct 2020 at 09:51:55 BST, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:

Following the recent thread about cables passing through insulation it has
left me with a dilemma regards the supply cable.

My supply cable emerges out of the sub-floor and passes through an approx.
50mm gap between the first joist and the wall. However the run of the cable
is not vertical due to the alignment between the entry point and the cutout
the alignment is approx. 150 - 200mm out and the result is that the cable
forms a lazy S in the space between joist and wall. This makes sleeving
impossible.

Originally, I was simply going to PU foam the gap but the previous thread has
made me a bit cautious. I could possibly get some of that flexible corrugated
sleeving and split it along its length to get it around the cable but suspect
there would be gaps at the bends allowing PU in against the cable. To my mind
the gap in insulation is too great to ignore so I would welcome any advice
please.

Richard

Are you worried about insulation derating the cable or chemical effects on the
cable jacket? I must admit I would assume in both cases it is designed to go
in some unpredictable unsavoury places and would be ok. But I have no basis
for saying that.

--
Roger Hayter