Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wind farm

On 11/10/2020 20:21, Scott wrote:
I visited the UK's largest on-shore wind farm this afternoon. Some of
the turbines were running and others were not. I assume this was
simply a factor of demand.

There was one turbine we watched (turbine 40). It was running as we
arrived, then it stopped, then it restarted (all as others in the same
section continued to run). Why would they stop and start one turbine?
Do they need to be rested or tested or rebooted periodically?

How do they maintain the frequency if the rotation speed can vary with
the wind?

I would expect by using a grid tie inverter - i.e. they just slave
themselves to the incoming mains.

So there is no requirement to sync a rotating mass with the grid, which
makes it easier from their point of view (and presumably less use to the
grid)

--
Cheers,

John.