American Mechanical

Default Followup: York heat pump replacement - quote sounds high, thoughts?

"Peter Drier" wrote in message
om...
Here is some additional information regarding my original message and
the questions that it has brought up:

* The 3000 estimate, was actually a quote. My mistake when writing the
post.
* I've cross posted this to alt.home.repair, and any future questions
not in this thread will go there.
* I'm trying to determine the parts/labor breakdown for reasons
described below

You will and should find that contractors are not willing nor obligated to
relay to you the job cost. Many factors that are not 100% related to your
job are figured into overhead for legitimate businesses such as worker's
compensation insurance, general liability insurance, office personnel, and
of course that magic profit. I don't ask what the mark-up is on a cup of
coffee at Starbucks and I'm sure you would stand slack-jawed if you knew.

* I realize there are going to be quotes that are too low($1200), and
too high($5000). My goal here is to improve my gut feeling on the
range so I can find and pay the right price for the job to be done
right.
* It's Olympian on York's website, I'll ask about Lattitude, and make
sure that's specified in the quote.
* 131 lbs up 4 flights of stairs should NOT be that hard. If that's
the reason behind a 500$+ jump in the quote, I'll hire some movers who
will carry it up for $20 and a case of beer each. It weighs much less
than some of the furniture I have, and that wasn't a problem.

A comment like that said in a derogative way to me on site would result in
my leaving your jobsite. I understand your frustration but it's not the
installer's fault that it's 4 stories up. Remember that reputable companies
do value your business but there are many more folks waiting on them to
arrive.

* Folks that are super secretive ("None of your ****ing business") on
the rough wholesale/retail price of the equipment they're installing
don't give me a good vibe. I understand there is a markup and labor
costs to figure in. I'll pay 3k if that's the fair price for a
quality job. I shouldn't have to deal with a quote for a 70% profit
on the same quality job.

That's just a direct way of telling you the truth. If you are not
comfortable with the job, by all means, don't agree on anything. Find a
contractor that you are confident with and can do business with. Your
problems stem from your perceived value of the job, which is low. This is
not your fault, but most likely the fault of the contractor who did not
fully explain the aspects of his bid and make you aware of the value
received from a properly installed job.

* I never said that I was a tenant.
* The coils & blower are in a location that would involve removing a
ceiling to access (beyond a filter change). So changing that out
would involve ~500-1000 worth of contracting work to rip out, and
later replace & paint the ceiling. Given it's my kitchen ceiling, I'd
prefer not to do that.

That's your preference but it's definite that you could not upgrade the SEER
rating properly without updating your air handler.

Further information.... There are 6 appartments in my building, all
with 17 year old heat pumps in dire condition (2 dead, 4 dying). All
1.5 ton York units. The other quote I wanted, and should receive from
the same guy at some point this week is for a replacement of all 6
heat pumps. I would figure a 6 unit install would have a lower markup
per unit (say 20% each instead of 30%) and a reduced per unit labor
due to the economies of scale. So if one unit was 2500, maybe (I said
maybe please don't flame me on this) the whole thing would be 12,000
(6x2000). I'd figure it would be a day job to do all 6, vs probably 3
or so hours to do 1, and they'd only have to drive out once, carry the
tools to the roof once, and so on. The building's association would
be paying for the job, so there is very little payment risk on the
job.

You would most likely be able to get a contract price for replacement of a
quantity of units at a slightly lower margin than the single job. I must,
however, take exception with your assessment that it's a one day job, simple
to do, go to the roof once, and so on. I would also say that the payment
risk is to be determined on a local assessment, I've certainly seen
multi-million dollar companies that had poor accounts payable abilities.

One last question.. My power company is offering a rebate for high
efficiency heat pumps.. $300 for a 12 SEER, or $500 for a 14 SEER.
Can I upgrade the Heat pump to a higher SEER without changing the
inside coils (I was told no, that my coils were 10 SEER which I can't
verify)? And how much more does (should, roughly) the 14 Seer
Lattitude/Olympian cost than the 10? 12 vs 10? Should the labor be
the same?

Correct. No complete system, no rebate.

Alright, one more.. Do I have to go York if I don't want to change
the inside coils? I'm assuming "Yes", or "I better", but I've assumed
wrong, so why not ask.

No, pick a contractor. York is fine, as are many others. Your building
won't burn down if you aren't using the same brand unit inside and out. It
might burn down if Davey installs it or possibly if it's a Goodman. ;-)

- Robert

Thanks for your help, both public and private.
Peter

(Peter Drier) wrote in message

om...
I just received an estimate to replace the heat pump for my apartment.
The evaporator coils, blower, and electric (emergency) heater,
thermostat, and infrastructure would all stay the same. Only the heat
pump, and freon would be changed out.

Significant bits of the quote:

Installation of 1 x 1.5 ton 10 seer heat pump condensing unit
Parts: Disposal, suction dryer, nitrogen, Box, whip, fuses, delivery,
filters, copper pipe, fittings
Warrantee - 5 year compressor, 5 year parts, 6 months labor/delivery

Total is $2937.. 1937 up front, 1000 upon completion.

The existing system is a York circa 1987, and the guy giving me the
quote is the only York dealer in my county. I pulled up the York
website while he was at my apt, and he said the replacement would be
their Olympian 10, 1.5 ton unit.

Having done my homework to a decent extent, I've seen other quotes for
1.5 ton 10 SEER heat pump replacement jobs in the $1200-1500 range, so
this ~$3k quote threw me.

The only real trick to this install should be the fact it's a 4 story
walkup, and the heat pump lives above the 4th story. So it will need
to be carried up 4 flights of stairs, and then up a ladder. This unit
weighs in at 131 lbs, so this isn't an unreasonable feat.

This is in Hoboken NJ, just outside Manhattan if the area matters
much.

Does anyone have an opinion on this cost? Any idea what the dealer's
cost is for the Olympian 10-1.5 ton, roughly? Any tactics on getting
a lower cost/counter offering? In the end, I'll pay what I should,
but I can't stand getting ripped off (or people who attempt to)
because I look fairly young.

and as for the parts section (copied directly from the quote), any
idea what the "Box", "whip", and "filters" are for? I can make a
guess on the filters one, but the others? should he be being more
specific?

Thanks,
Peter