Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default USPS slowdown

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 11 Oct 2020 09:47:44 -0400, micky
wrote:

Question 1 is more interesting. Allows the General assembly to
increase, diminish, or add items as long as they don't exceed the total
proposed budget as submitted by the governor. Huh? Why isn't the
assembly writing the budget and telling the governor what he can spend.
I've long had the same quesiton about the national government.

So what does it say now? I'm not the first person to ask that. Once I
put in Maryland Constitution, suggestions 4 and 6 were the two parts of
the constitution that they want to amend. ---- Yes, it says that the
governor must submit the budget.

Whether this takes away some of his power by letting them make changes,
OR it adds to his power by not letting them exceed the amount he
suggested, I don't know yet. And I'm not sure how I feel about either
of them. I haven't followed prior budget fights, if any.

It is the first possibility:

"Right now the only way to get proposed spending in the governor's
budget is for the governor to do it," says Roy Meyers, professor of
Political Science and an Affiliate Professor of Public Policy at the
University of Maryland, Baltimore County. "And so everybody has to lobby
the governor. That's just one person."

Meyers says that a yes vote on Question 1 of the Maryland ballot would
put Maryland in line with all 49 other states, in terms of how they
handle their state budgets.

"Maryland is the only state where the governor has this power," said
Meyers. "If we were to shift toward the method used by the 49 other
states, we would join the other states that have AAA bond ratings just
like we do."

Huh? What has bond ratings got to do with it, if they have it and so do
we?