Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default chasing electrical boxes

On 10/10/2020 18:10, wrote:
On 10/10/2020 09:27, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 06:27:28 +0000, jon wrote:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 20:52:26 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I don't think this is a new idea though, but theÂ* equipment may be.
When back in the 70s we had this house rewired they cut the edges round
using some kind of hammer tool and then just gunged out the middle.
That was a technical term used by the elecctrician.. grin.
Â* Brian

I've done it quite successfully by hand with a cold chisel and hammer.

Easier with an electrician's bolster!

Mark box outline+5mm on wall, put tape on SDS bit for depth required (or
set depth bar on SDS drill), drill many holes to desired depth, use a
scutch chisel and lump hammer to knock-out between holes, and a wide SDS
chisel to "plane" the bottom of the hole flat.

I've also used a sds drill with a 20mm hole cutter. Mark the centres of
8 holes (for a 2 gang box) and then drill the 8off 20mm holes to the
required depth. The hole cutter plus the pilot drill hole removes much
of the waste just leaving narrow pillars of brick that can easily
removed with leverage or hitting with a chisel. Only the corners and
edges then need to be cleaned up afterwards. I found with this
technique that drilling all the pilot holes first was advisable.

As I indicated before I'm very wary about hammering the internal walls
in my house too hard as I'm sure that some of the 100 year old plaster
is only held on by its own will power On walls where I have removed
plaster in the past it came off very easily.