Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Scope of wiring regs SELV

On 9 Oct 2020 at 13:33:14 BST, "Robin" wrote:

On 09/10/2020 10:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
If I install extra-low voltage wiring, such as bell wire, ethernet,
transducer
wiring, 12V power supplies for radios or similar, am I obliged to follow the
latest wiring regs, specifically about metal clips to stop the wire getting
in
the way if its supports melt?

If this is out of scope of the regs, does it come into scope if a) it is
done
as part of a mains wiring installation or b) it is done by a qualified
electrician?

It's covered by BS7671 as the requirement there applies to "wiring
systems" which means any "assembly made up of cable or bus bars and
parts which secure and, if necessary, enclose the cable or busbars."

Whether you or anyone else is required by law to follow the regs is a
separate and more complex question. OTOH it's not on the face of it
within the building regulations so "they can't touch you for it". OTOH
if you don't use fire-resistant clips and someone dies or is seriously
injured as a result I'd hope (very possibly in vain) legal action wd
follow that at least left you very much poorer. Bear in mind the
internet has a long memory so you might after this thread struggle to
argue "innocent error".

In real life I would worry more about wires that crossed doorways or ceiling
than those along walls. But I am impressed that advice on this hasn't
filtered through to networking instructions as opposed to the actual wiring
regulations. As a matter of interest, I wonder if wires running along
plasterboard or clipped to it with metal clips meet the regulations?
Plasterboard is supposed to be somewhat fire resistant but existing
installations may not always be thick enough to count.

--
Roger Hayter