Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default wifi question

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 12:47:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 06/10/2020 12:00, T i m wrote:

I believe in the instance John oversaw they turned off the AP in the
router?

With the right kit (and centralised management), it might be possible to
include a non mesh wifi into a mix as park of a backhaul for a mesh
system. (normally mesh systems expect one AP to be connected via
ethernet to the main router - that becomes the mesh "root".

So Graeme's router AP could be that, or are you saying it would
typically have to be a 'Meshing' device itself?

(but in the case I described it was a layer of complexity not required
since he had an abundance of meshing APs).

That's what I was thinking re my an uplift to my mates multi-AP
solution, where (this sort of money) wouldn't be a solution.

I think I left it with only one port on the router being used, linked
to the 24 port managed switch (he has IP CCTV) so if we disabled the
router AP, a mesh unit connected there would cover a good chunk of the
house.

If they could be obedient / sensible user self installed, I could
connect to his laptop via TV and do any higher level admin if required
/ possible?

One directly on the router (router AP turned off), one on some Cat6 in
the kitchen (replacing existing AP), another on Cat6 in the media room
(replacing existing AP), another in the bedroom (replacing existing
AP) and one on the end of a PowerLine extension to the au-pairs room
(that is currently WiFi at the remote end that I would demote to
Ethernet only)?

Graeme, what make / model did you use OOI please?

Cheers, T i m