Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wifi question

On 06/10/2020 12:06, Chris Green wrote:
Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:33:10 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

This laptop is in the kitchen, opposite end of the house to the nearest
repeater, and fast.com reports my wi-fi speeds a few seconds ago as
74Mbps down and 17Mbps up, which is good enough for me. Installed a few
weeks ago, and seems rock steady. We have various devices around the
house (mobiles, laptops, iPads, mobiles (Apple and Android) and all just
connect and work.

Cool ... so did it present a different SSID (Network name), different
to the Router and did you reconnect everything to said new one?

Only one name appears on the list of 'Local Area Connections', and that
name is the same as it always has been, although that means it is not
possible to see whether a device is connected to the original router or
either of the repeaters. The mesh must be working though, as the signal
strength and speed is far better than in was, in areas that had a very
poor signal without the repeaters.

But would a 'non mesh' system with the same number of access points be
just as good - that's the question.

They will have different capabilities... mesh gives you self healing,
and the ability to roll out a network with fewer (or no) cables.
Individual hardwired APs might give you more throughput with lots of
users. However both should let you saturate most broadband connections
so in many cases its a moot point.

--
Cheers,

John.