Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default wifi question

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 11:20:46 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:33:10 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

This laptop is in the kitchen, opposite end of the house to the nearest
repeater, and fast.com reports my wi-fi speeds a few seconds ago as
74Mbps down and 17Mbps up, which is good enough for me. Installed a few
weeks ago, and seems rock steady. We have various devices around the
house (mobiles, laptops, iPads, mobiles (Apple and Android) and all just
connect and work.

Cool ... so did it present a different SSID (Network name), different
to the Router and did you reconnect everything to said new one?

Only one name appears on the list of 'Local Area Connections', and that
name is the same as it always has been,

Ok.

although that means it is not
possible to see whether a device is connected to the original router or
either of the repeaters.

Agreed.

The mesh must be working though, as the signal
strength and speed is far better than in was, in areas that had a very
poor signal without the repeaters.

Well, the signal strengths are likely to be better (extra kit) but not
that the 'Mesh' part was working fully (full movement around the
location without disconnection), or if the two new Mesh devices were
stronger signal than the router and so the router never provides a
connection itself?

Another noticeable difference is the printer/scanner which was connected
wirelessly via a home plug, and was always a bit hit and miss. I did a
factory reset and attached the printer, via wi-fi, to the router address
(which I'm certain is actually one of the repeaters) and that too has
been rock solid. Only a cheap and cheerful Canon inkjet, but it works.

Cool.

My (limited) understanding is that devices see the wi-fi network as just
one connection whether the signal is coming from any one of three signal
'broadcasters', and attach to the strongest signal,

Well, that would be nice but I'm not sure how a non-Mesh router could
play part of that, unless the Mesh system can take a connection off
the router seamlessly somehow?

I believe in the instance John oversaw they turned off the AP in the
router?

with the ability to
change source as devices are moved around that house.

Say the Mesh devices overlapped each other and both overwhelmed the AP
in the router, maybe the router never actually takes any connections?

That is probably
a non techie over simplification, but it works.

Well, that's the key but I would still be inclined to check to see if
the router AP might still need to be turned of for fear of it taking a
connection in some instances and then causing a mobile device to drop
as you move away from it and to a Mesh unit?

Cheers, T i m