Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wifi question

On 05/10/2020 16:59, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 16:15:22 +0100, Robert
wrote:

snip

But they can't really "move that connection to the nearest / strongest
signal", it's down to the client to do that. All the mesh system can
do is *encourage* the client to change.

snip

And in practice ( Android phone) does the connection move ?

According to Chris, yes.

I run 3 wifi networks in the house and switching is a pain at times. Was
wondering about MESH

I think that's the point, not so much coverage (but I think that's
improved as well, over straight access points) but that if you are
moving about a lot, it makes that more predictable. I think John Rumm
has installed a Mesh system with a customer and the customer is happy?

So far yup.

I did another one the other day - although on a much smaller scale (two
APs). That was in a relatively small office where they could get good
wifi signal strength everywhere with just the single conventional AP in
the middle. What they could not get was anything close to decent data
throughput or relaiability. The are quite heavily surrounded by other
WLANS, and their existing kit (while decent) was 2.4GHz single band only.

So going mesh gave them all the modern toys like dual band with band
steering, dynamic routing to the best AP. 802.11ac with beam forming etc.

It made a dramatic difference, now the wifi clients can saturate the
FTTC broadband connection, whereas before they could not even manage 5 Mbps.

--
Cheers,

John.