Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default wifi question

T i m wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 14:02:23 +0100, Robert
wrote:

snip

That last point was why we changed to a mesh system. Our mobile devices
would all doggedly stick with the first AP they connected to rather than
roam to the one with the best signal. We were forever manually switching
them to the best AP.

As switching APs is , I thought, initiated by the Client ( eg phone) how
does a Mesh system change things ?

Because (as I understand it), the Mesh (also) handles the connection
rather like a digital mobile network does, as opposed to how the old
analogue mobile network (and straight WiFi APs) did?

Because the Mesh devices are also talking to each other (unlike AP's),
they can determine which of them could best serve the client
connection and move that connection to the nearest / strongest signal.

But they can't really "move that connection to the nearest / strongest
signal", it's down to the client to do that. All the mesh system can
do is *encourage* the client to change.

There are new standards appearing for WiFi that make it easier and
quicker for this to happen but old clients won't get moved so easily.

--
Chris Green
ยท