Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wifi question

On 05/10/2020 09:42, Chris Green wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I've never managed it, besides won't they have different addresses? Can you
not just use a Mesh system?

It's still mostly down to the client to move from one source to another.

If a WiFi server *forces* a client to disconnect and reconnect then
there is a significant delay, at least that's my understanding of
how it all works.

There are various "fast roaming" capabilities that can help mitigate,
but yup there is a tradeoff, so you don't want to click clients too easily.

(The worst case is when using enterprise style EAP authentication rather
than WPA2 - since authentication not only requires the normal 4 way
handshake, but also a conversation with the RADIUS server as well)

--
Cheers,

John.