Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Sprinklers

newshound wrote in
:

On 04/10/2020 12:15, JohnP wrote:
A school has just gone up in flames in my area. Usual photos of it
burning inside whilst water is put on the outside. Usual cries for
sprinklers - but these can be vandalised and could cause problems.

I know about dry risers - usually to Landing Hose Unions - but what
about a simple array of pipes in the roof space with open nozzles. In
the event of a fire then the Fire Engine hooks up and dowses the fire
from the inside using the fixed nozzles - no need to enter the
building. Notre Dame would have possibly been saved if such a simple
system was in place.

Any thoughts? It seems a compromise to a full sprinkler system but
has the advantage of not being automatic and able to flood the
building.

It's a bit like the Grenfell argument. You need to do a cost benefit
analysis including the cost of false actuation. Apart from paper and
desks, schools are mostly not particularly flammable. OK they contain
computers these days, but even computers are cheap.

Sprinklers make sense in department stores and many types of factory
because the contents are high value, and they prevent spread.

High pressure "misting" systems are used around rotating plant in
power stations where there are large lubricating oil tanks. Power
stations typically have dry risers too.

Grenfell should have had a Dry Riser.