Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Sprinklers

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in
:

On 04/10/2020 12:15, JohnP wrote:
A school has just gone up in flames in my area. Usual photos of it
burning inside whilst water is put on the outside. Usual cries for
sprinklers - but these can be vandalised and could cause problems.

I know about dry risers - usually to Landing Hose Unions - but what
about a simple array of pipes in the roof space with open nozzles. In
the event of a fire then the Fire Engine hooks up and dowses the fire
from the inside using the fixed nozzles - no need to enter the
building. Notre Dame would have possibly been saved if such a simple
system was in place.

Any thoughts? It seems a compromise to a full sprinkler system but
has the advantage of not being automatic and able to flood the
building.

A type of automatic dry riser you mean?...

As I understand it a dry riser usually just feeds hose points on upper
floors so they need firement to enter the building and use a safe
stairwell.