Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Boiler beyond economical Repair (con)

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 14:58:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I totally agree. I've never had a service contract or paid for an
extended warranty etc, and never regretted it.

A bit more than 20 years ago I had a new boiler installed and asked
the installer, a one-man operator, about service. 'I wouldn't bother'
he replied. So I didn't, and thanks to comments on here, I changed the
circuit board myself when that went a few years later - Potterton
Suprima. And it's still going strong.
(But I'm quite sure that the installer scammed me when he said a
replacement pressure vave wasn't obtainable for the previousl boiler,
but I wasalready receptive to the notion of changing it.)

My brother had that with a BG service contract. Told a new part needed
wasn't available.

Happened in our village hall. Found another person prepared to look. he
rang someone "George, have you got a **** for a **** boiler?" "Thanks, I'll
collect it later." We got another 5 years out of that bolier, giving us
enough time to build up funds for a new one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England