Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default "Touching (one or both terminals of) button batteries causes them to discharge" - any truth?

"NY" wrote in :

My wife has always believed that if you touch both (and maybe just
one) terminal of a flat disc "button" battery (eg CR2032, CR1620 as
used in a watch, key fob, PC BIOS), you will cause the battery to
discharge, so you must take care when fitting a new battery not to
"short the terminals with your fingers".

I can imagine that sweat on the metal terminals *may* cause a bit of
oxidation over a long period of time, but I can't see how a body
resistance of many kilohms will cause the battery to go flat.

Is there any truth in what she's always believed and what she advises
me to do?

I have always follwed that advice.