Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Nomad[_3_] The Nomad[_3_] is offline

Default Boilers

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:24:08 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

On 30/09/2020 13:41, The Nomad wrote:
All assembled knowledgeable folk,

I fear the time has come, the ravenheat boiler has expired, no spark,
fan runs etc. etc. but not spark, not even the clicking from the
igniter ...

Do I:

a) buy a new PCB and hope or

b) Get a new boiler - this one is knackered, rusty internally (DAHIK -
IJD - OK)

if b) as I suspect it will have to happen in the next short while
anyway Worcerster-Bosh, Vallaint or ???

Your thoughts on makes is welcomed

I'll throw one out there...
Viessmann

My combi at home is a German "Micromat EC" (originally bought based on
"Dr Evil"'s recommendation!) which at the time it was installed the
plumber was impressed with its radial burner box etc, more a thing of
commercial boilers than domestic apparently. It's now around 16 years
old and admittedly I've had to replace the diverter valve a number of
times, the pump once, hot-glue the condensate siphon, replace a number
of dead o-rings on numerous occasions and so-on but on the whole it's
been superb, built in weather compensation with user customisable
temp/flow ramp, ideal for the UFH. Certainly never had to get an
engineer to do any repairs; so having looked at what's around Viessmann
appeared to be the closest thing in terms of "quality" so that would be
my next replacement rather than the go-to WB or Valliant.
Worth checking out as an alternative.

Thanks to all,

Viessmann is looking quite likely as so far they are the only lot that
have done a quote (all the other are too busy - will be 3 week just for a
visit to quote).

Not too bad a price, a little under 2k, about what I was expecting

Oh well, at least the fan heater works

Avpx

--
"The significant owl hoots in the night."
(Guards! Guards!)