Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler beyond economical Repair (con)

In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 14:58:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I totally agree. I've never had a service contract or paid for an extended
warranty etc, and never regretted it.

A bit more than 20 years ago I had a new boiler installed and asked
the installer, a one-man operator, about service. 'I wouldn't bother'
he replied. So I didn't, and thanks to comments on here, I changed the
circuit board myself when that went a few years later - Potterton
Suprima. And it's still going strong.
(But I'm quite sure that the installer scammed me when he said a
replacement pressure vave wasn't obtainable for the previousl boiler,
but I wasalready receptive to the notion of changing it.)

My brother had that with a BG service contract. Told a new part needed
wasn't available. (I found one in minutes) What they probably meant was
they didn't have one in their stores.

They persuaded him to have a new boiler (on 'special' offer). The infamous
Potterton after they were taken over. Made a real mess of the
installation, moving it to a different place from the old one with pipes
running along walls at near ceiling height. Just because it was easy for
them. And it broke down several times a year. And after a few years said
they would no longer service it as it was too unreliable.

He went elsewhere for a new boiler.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.