Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Boiler beyond economical Repair (con)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
One would hope it also provides the service you are paying for, though,

Not if they can get away with it, they don't. That's why they have lots
of small print, which no one ever reads and large print, basically
true, but with lots they don't tell you unless you read the small
print.

Most of these contracts have little value for the customer.

I totally agree. I've never had a service contract or paid for an extended
warranty etc, and never regretted it.

Me neither.

That's not to say, though, that particularly in the commercial world
"service" agreements of various types are quite common, and usually
beneficial to both parties. One big difference is that on the customer
side, the contract manager usually has a good idea of what he needs and
can monitor what he is getting. And for the supplier, there is a
relatively assured source of work so that they don't need a sales team
to go scouting for work. If you put good technical people in sales then
the customers are more confident, and the scoping and pricing is likely
to be better. But then you don't have the good technical people to do
the work.