Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Heat-pump vs condensing boiler

Chris Holmes wrote:
On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 5:58:41 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Based on €śaverage€ť gas and electricity costs

Snip

I am getting lots of adverts on my FB feed at the moment (probably because
I clicked on the first one) pushing Air Source as a way to save up to 80%
of my Oil costs.

First rule of thumb: ignore all Facebook adverts

I presume the idea is to fit Air Source such that it provides some heat
until to the conventional system until it runs out of steam and then the
oil boiler fires up to "top up" / take it to the required temp to run the
existing rads & cylinder.

That's a hybrid heat pump:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...al_report-.pdf

I suspect the scammy adverts are claiming that replacing an ASHP will cost
20% of your oil costs. If there's any justification for that, it's probably
an outlier.

A HHP might make sense in some cases, but I suspect they fail to account for
the installation costs (even after grant).

but I've not investigated further, as that would doubtless need a visit
from a "Surveyor" (Sales Reptile).

There are plenty of legit firms out there to enquire of, although with the
GHG they're quite busy at the moment.

Theo