Posted to uk.d-i-y
Radio Man Radio Man is offline

Default Heat-pump vs condensing boiler

Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/10/2020 21:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The only person I have met that had one installed in domestic premises
was bitterly disappointed with the running and servicing costs.

I've heard one second-hand tale where the coils were undersized and it
couldn't extract sufficient heat, still not sorted yet

Possibly their problem too. Look very carefully at ongoing maintenance
costs too - that was their other major gripe.

In theory they should have been ideal customers being retired and at
home all day but they were sold a pup. It cost more than fuel oil to
do the same heating job (back when oil was still expensive pre-Covid).

I'm still trying to weigh-up whether to go for GSHP or LPG on a new
build, it is quite touch and go.

If you can design it in as underfloor central heating and get the
building insulation very very good then you might have a chance.

Underfloor Heating is wonderful to live with but bloody expensive to run a
friend has it but dreads the bills. We visited when they first moved in and
it was glorious but next time we needed thermal underwear and were given
blankets in the sitting room after the first bill.