Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat-pump vs condensing boiler

On 01/10/2020 21:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The only person I have met that had one installed in domestic premises
was bitterly disappointed with the running and servicing costs.

I've heard one second-hand tale where the coils were undersized and it
couldn't extract sufficient heat, still not sorted yet

Possibly their problem too. Look very carefully at ongoing maintenance
costs too - that was their other major gripe.

In theory they should have been ideal customers being retired and at
home all day but they were sold a pup. It cost more than fuel oil to
do the same heating job (back when oil was still expensive pre-Covid).

I'm still trying to weigh-up whether to go for GSHP or LPG on a new
build, it is quite touch and go.

If you can design it in as underfloor central heating and get the
building insulation very very good then you might have a chance.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown