Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat-pump vs condensing boiler

On 01/10/2020 17:58, Tim+ wrote:
Based on €śaverage€ť gas and electricity costs (and ignoring for the moment
other changes that might need to be made to a heating system for an air
sourced heat-pump) which would be cheaper per kWhr?

in merely cool weather a heat pump can achieve a 4:1 uplift which puts
it at about 5p/KWh.

That's comparable in my case with oil at 50p/liter.

I keep hearing folk extolling the virtues of heat-pumps but I was under the
impression that gas was cheaper for equivalent output.

Well compare the figures above. I have no idea what gas costs.

And remember in the depths of winter even a 5KW heat pump at 2:1 uplift
may not be enough...

Tim

--
€śThe ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.€ť

Herbert Spencer