Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Boiler beyond economical Repair (con)

On 01/10/2020 19:54, rick wrote:
Boiler been under service contract since new, so annual check etc.
Took out maintenance policy for a Baxi 100HE with a new national company.
They sent an engineer who carried out service, and as house is to be
rented out they also did the Landlord gas certificate.Â* (both were at
cost separate to maintenance fee)

No advisories all notes say boiler was fine & serviceable ...Â* it is 11
years old.

Last week ( 3 weeks after service) boiler failed, Contract company sent
a guy out ... he pronounced new fan needed.

Sub-contract gas fitter quote was £145 +vat for fan and £45 +vat to fit it.
Company advised this made it beyond economical repair.
Would I like boiler replaced for special offer of £1800 +vat

I hit the roof - called local branch of PTS ... price of genuine Baxi
spare fan .... £55 +Vat
After a great many phone calls, they agreed to fix boiler.

They explained they have algorithm where they take initial cost of
boiler knock 10% off per year, to get to current value.Â* If repair
greater than 40% of this value they will class as uneconomical to repair
... and quoted some small print in t&c that they had not even sent me.

Is this the way service contracts are going - or have I just got a bad
company.

Service contracts are designed for people who can't / won't think for
themselves.