Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default Boiler beyond economical Repair (con)

Boiler been under service contract since new, so annual check etc.
Took out maintenance policy for a Baxi 100HE with a new national company.
They sent an engineer who carried out service, and as house is to be
rented out they also did the Landlord gas certificate. (both were at
cost separate to maintenance fee)

No advisories all notes say boiler was fine & serviceable ... it is 11
years old.

Last week ( 3 weeks after service) boiler failed, Contract company sent
a guy out ... he pronounced new fan needed.

Sub-contract gas fitter quote was £145 +vat for fan and £45 +vat to fit
it.
Company advised this made it beyond economical repair.
Would I like boiler replaced for special offer of £1800 +vat

I hit the roof - called local branch of PTS ... price of genuine Baxi
spare fan .... £55 +Vat
After a great many phone calls, they agreed to fix boiler.

They explained they have algorithm where they take initial cost of
boiler knock 10% off per year, to get to current value. If repair
greater than 40% of this value they will class as uneconomical to repair
.... and quoted some small print in t&c that they had not even sent me.

Is this the way service contracts are going - or have I just got a bad
company.