Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Heat-pump vs condensing boiler

On 01/10/2020 18:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

I keep hearing folk extolling the virtues of heat-pumps but I was
under the
impression that gas was cheaper for equivalent output.

as ever "it varies", but poke some answers into

https://www.kensaheatpumps.com/heat-pump-costs/#cost-calc

The electricity costs for a heatpump will be about 85% of the cost for
mains gas,m but the installation costs are much higher.

Is that figure for ground sourced or air sourced heat pumps?

From my back of envelope previous investigations, an air sourced pump
can give 3kW thermal energy for every 1kW of electricity but as the
outside temperature falls to 0C this efficiency also drops to more like
2KW thermal per 1KW. As my electricity tariff is 4x that of my gas
tariff it is debatable that air sourced in the UK can be cost effective.
However all the green wash is not about saving money but saving the
planet and in 2050 when all the oil, gas, coal and wood is banned you
will have no choice.

Installing an EFFECTIVE heat pump system also depends on the level of
insulation in the home and probable there are large additional costs
involved in changing components (radiators) on a water based CH system
which may/will be running at lower water temperatures. Again the whole
ethos of saving the planet is not about saving money but using less energy.

It may work extremely well for a new build where you can specify the
quality of the build and insulation.