Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Oval frames

knuttle writes:
We have an oval mirror in the bath room and my wife would like it to
have an oval frame for it. This seems like an "easy" do-it-yourself
project.

While I have a general idea of how you would construct an oval frame,
can someone give me some specific guidance or point me to a site that
shows specifics.

Lay the mirror on large piece of cardboard. Trace it. Cut out the
cardboard. Place the cardboard cutout on another large piece of cardboard.
Trace it again, this time using a compass or dividers set to the width
of the frame minus the width of the rebate on the back of the frame that
will hold the mirror. Cut this out and use it as a template for the outside
edge of the frame. Set your dividers to the width of the frame and
use that to mark the inside edge of the frame. Cut out the center.

Smooth and sand the inner and outer edges, then use a router to cut a rebate in
the back of the frame to hold the mirror.

If you don't have a board wide enough, end glue (with lap joints) stock
in a rough oval and use the template to refine it.