Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Wade[_2_] David Wade[_2_] is offline

Default Connecting an immersion heater

On 2020-09-29 18:27:29 +0000, ARW said:

I did this last year in a hard water area. There was a massive bang
and then the sound of lumps of limescale dropping down the inside of
the cylinder. Probably a 30 year old element that had never had a volt
across it.

Arrgh - the cylinder was installed about 17 years ago and in London it's
hard water. Maybe this is not such a good idea...

You could install a new one, but getting the old one out without
distorting the tank might be fun. My tank had a blanking plate and I
installed a heater.

Dave