Jim Stewart

Default Machinist hit with patent lawsuit

Ed wrote:

I own a motorcycle and was researching how to make "diamond cuts" on
the engine fins. Diamond cuts are simply decorative cuts made in the
fin edges, using a burr by hand or with CNC, to make the engine fins
sparkle. Its been done for years by chopper customizers.

I came across this site http://www.vabiker.net/html/article86.html
from a guy who has offered this machining service. He has been hit by
a patent lawsuit from this guy at
http://ironhorsetrading.com/Diamond_Heads.htm who holds patent
6626134.

I read the patent on the government web site and what a bunch of BS!
He claims to have measured the temperature drop in the engine
resulting from the diamond cuts, and that is the basis of his patent.
Yes, there may be some minor measurable temperature difference, but
the real reason for the cuts is simply aesthetics.

What makes me so mad is that some a**hole patents the process of
cutting little chunks out of engine fins, then tries to put a fellow
American out of business.

This guy needs our support. I've written to him and got a nice reply.
I have no affiliation – I'm just PO'ed at what is going on here.
Maybe I should patent the process of making holes in metal and wood.

Sounds like the temperature drop issue was raised
to evade the requirement that the patent not be
obvious to one skilled in the arts.

Good luck.