Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Smith[_21_] John Smith[_21_] is offline

Default Connecting an immersion heater

On 2020-09-29 15:57:09 +0000, John Rumm said:

On 29/09/2020 16:36, John Smith wrote:
As we have no working boiler only an electric shower and while I wait
to see if the boiler can be fixed or needs replacing, I notice we have
immersion heater in the hot water tank but it's never been connected.

I assume this is a 3kW heater - does it have to have its own circuit by
regulation or can it be powered from a nearby circuit already powering
the heater controls. This would only be temporary and be a backup to
when the boiler is fixed.

While normally placed on their own circuit, sharing with the heating
controls sounds fine as well since they are unlikely to be more than a
couple of amp at most.

Thanks. I guess the key is whether there are other things on the
heating controls circuit. Controls are off anyway. I'm trying to read
the scawled legends on the CU - think I'll have to find a magnifying
glass....