Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default Antennae Booster

terrell. Nic

At the university where I worked, they had a ground potential across about 200' in their computing center built duting the big mainframe ERA. A motor-generator fed the building.

During a storm, there was a potential that developed across the ground between one side and the other side of the building. They had to replace those lines with fiber.

The rotor is an Eagle Aspen ROTR-100 which is pretty cool, but going to be repairable if it fails. min uses a coax for power/positioning. You can, but I didn't use it for the antenna feed too. You can even use it to power a pre-amp.
it send DISEQ/C signals on the coax for positioning.

One bad thing is that the readout is not real-time when the antenna is moving. The readout "pretends" to know where the antenna is.

I did use a thrust bearing which isn't available anymore and I did replace the studs with stainless studs. 318 SS and anti-sieze if possible. All hardware went that route. The antenna mount is an eve mount made with Unistrut and I guy every 120 degrees using a non-conductive guy wire called Phillystran. I never got a chance to replace the aluminum mast wth fiberglass,

When we had the tree trimmed, I offered to help take down the antenna. To do that, I install a 2 piece shaft collar under the antenna and loosen the antenna and remove the connections. The tree guy in the bucket truck just plucked the antenna off the mast. He did his thing and plopped it back on the mast and I could finish it after the install. I had to do some more important antenna stuff and I was unable to change the mast to fiberglass.

I changed all of the U-bolts to stainless too. I didn't powdercoat the rotor brackets although I had plenty of time if i had planned it during the original install.