Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default 240 V Transistors and chips

On 28/09/2020 10:48:04, Chris Holmes wrote:
Hi All,

I recently bought and installed a Manrose timer board for one of
their inline fans (so it runs on after the lights are turned off). I
installed it this weekend (actually driving a similar fan from
another manufacturer).

It's working fine, but I found it a little curious...€¦.

It's a tiny PCB with quite small tracks. It only has about 10-12
components, from memory, a small transistor at the input end together
with a pot to adjust the delay, a big resistor, a handful of tiny
things most of which are probably resistors, but one or two could be
diodes or something else a chip, and another little transistor at the
output end. The permenant live is just a track that goes straight to
the output, and the neutral goes most of the way there and then gets
switched to the output.

The small transistor is likely to be a Thyrister or SCR.

There are chips that can regulate from 240V to 5V using the first part
of the AC waveform though never used one. Mains voltage capable chips
are available but not common place.

Thing is, in my limited experience, transistors and chips required a
power supply of some sort to convert mains to 5V and or 12V DC. But
I couldn't see anything on the board that I recognised as being
capable of doing this. Are there now 240V AC chips? Have there
always been and I've just not come across them before?

A resistor, diode and zener can get you a low power 5V.

I got it for about £10 by the way (on special offer, reduced by
50-ish %), so a nice cheap simple way to add a timer to something
that doesn't require much wattage.