Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default Antennae Booster

Measurements: The CM-7777 has only one input. I used an OTA signal, not on the same day.
I measured before the pre-amp one day and after the power injector (about 30') on another day. Cable is copper clad RG6QS. Measured with a Sencore SLM1453i http://salestores.com/sencor01.html. These measurements were done before the re-assignment of channels.

The measurement is problematic because of 1) Tilt and 2) different days.

"Evaluation of a Winegard HD8200U Antenna
with a Channel Master CM-7777 30 dB mast mounted Preamp"
FM trap is enabled in the antenna pre-amp.
May 2019
Voltages in Columns C and F are in dBuV
Gain is just Column F minus Column C

@antenna (N3) @In Attic (N4) Gain(N5)
2 53.6 73.5 19.9
3 42.4 58.0 15.6
4 47.5 67.5 20.0
5 29.9 54.1 24.2
6 59.5 80.6 21.1
7 Fail 37.4 Fail
8 16.1 Fail 41.6 Fail
9 22 Fail 38.1 Fail
10 * * 46.5 Fail
11 * 39.4 Fail
12 36.7 58.4 21.7
13 * * 35.0 Fail
14 * * 28.5 Fail
15 * * 29.2 Fail
16 * * 31.6 Fail
17 * * N5 49.2
18 * * 27.7 Fail
19 * * 39.5 Fail
20 * * 28.9 Fail
21 27.6 Fail 27.6
22 43.4 63.6 20.2
23 * * 25.9 Fail
24 * * 28.4 Fail
25 * * 34.3 Fail
26 32.2 55.2 23.0
27 * * 29.2 Fail
28 * * 27.6 Fail
29 * * 25.8 Fail
30 * * 26.8 Fail
31 21.2 48.7 27.5
32 32.3 56.7 24.4
33 * * 30.1 Fail
34 34.4 * 56.0 21.6
35 * * 27.4
36 * * 30.2
37 * * 30.7
38 * * 39.0
39 * * 28.7
40 * * 33.1
41 * * N1 31.2
42 U U N6 55.5
43 * * 31.3
44 U U N7
Missed a few here,

"I think the reason for the * @antenna is that the Sencore didn't find anything
Using 8VSB modulation. Not sure."

TVFool data from Highest to lowest NF
6 (6.1) ABC NM: 42.6db Pwr -48.2dbm 2Edge, 28.8 miles
42 (29.1) Fox NM: 21.5 Pwr: -69.4 2Edge, 28.9 miles

On one TV using a converter box, it shows 29/100 for signal strength on it's internal meter for 29.1 and 91 for channel 6.1. This includes another amp at 35 feet (unknown gain) from the 7777, then 65 feet to a 2-way splitter and about 35' to the TV.

The "stupid" Samsung "Smart TV" only shows s/n ratio. I do have a "tuner" that will
show both in real units.

The system is/will be:
Mast amp (currently CM-7777, plan to change to a Kitz lower NF amplifier)
30'; RG-6QS copper clad
Power injector in attic
Variable 0-18db gain amplifier using an attenuator
65'; RG-6QS copper clad to basement; About 40' to each TV location (some less, some more)

Currently: A 2-way splitter to two TV's about 40' away.

Planned:
Blonder Tongue BIDA 75-43a (30-45 db Gain with tilt compensation cards and variable) that replaces a Tin Lee amplifier
four 24 db 4-way taps to 12 locations (existing, but not currently used because of a broken amplifier)
Locations are around 40' away.

The gain is unknown because the AMP and attenuator WAS prior to the 2-way splitter and it was recently moved to the attic as is. performance is definitely better.

My main distribution amp died and I'm planning to replace it with a Blonder-tongue BID 75a-43 for 12 locations fed by four 4-way 24 db taps.

This has available various "tilt cards", but might consider a custom VHF attenuator. I think the CM-7777 might overload with cellular signals.

Why copper clad? Friends that were in the satellite TV industry gave me 1000 feet.