Posted to uk.d-i-y
Radio Man Radio Man is offline

Default OT National Trust Properties with Slave trade links.

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 14:34:49 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale
wrote:

The National Trust have produced a so called 'Shame' list of 93 of their
properties linked to the Slave Trade including Winston Churchills former
home Chartwell House.

https://expressdigest.com/national-t...olonial-links/

Is there no end to their historical 'whitewashing'?

Isn't that like saying 'Some of my best mates are black'?

This will always be the issue when people do the 'Wrong thing' and
whilst slavery may have been 'legal' then, doesn't mean it was moral
'then', and it's the general morality of people being held up as 'Good
people' that is now being questioned.

So no one would question many of these people *also* did good things,
but the fact that they also did bad (immoral) things means it may not
be appropriate to present them as 'heroes', especially to those who
may have suffered by their hand.

I understand the toppled statue of Edward Colston will still be on
display in a museum for anyone to see if they wish and I'm sure many
will still celebrate any good things he did, it just won't be 'put on
a pedestal' in a generally public / prominent position.

That's not whitewashing anything, it's just reflecting the feelings of
those who may not appreciate said bad things.

Conversely, don't we [1] actually 'celebrate' the failed attempt to
blow up the Houses of Parliament by burning effigies of a person
involved in the attempt?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Well, not me of course, the wasteful 'celebration' by the
effective setting fire to money and terrifying animals bit.

Is there no end to your stupidity?