Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Another home wiring puzzle - follow up

On 21/09/2020 17:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/09/2020 16:29, charles wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/09/2020 09:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
Fortunately not mine!

A friend just told me "I have just replaced a single electric socket in
our lounge with a switched double. In order to stop the supply, I
had to
switch off two trip switches at the same time." That didn't sound
right,
or safe.

My friend just replied. He thinks that the problem must have occurred
when the new CUÂ* and the new wiring in the extension were joined up to
the original house wiring, 18 years ago.

Out of interest, anyone know if this was out of line with Part P then?
For that matter, is it out of line with Part P now? I would have thought
it was out-of-line as it represents a shock hazard - although an unusual
one.

was there a Part P 18 years ago?

Probably. There was a Part P in 2013 from the Building Regs of 2010. The
2013 Part P states:
"This approved document supports Part P: Electrical safety €“ Dwellings.
It takes effect on 6 April 2013 and is for use in England. The 2006
edition will continue to apply to work begun before 6 April 2013, or to
work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial
notice submitted before 6 April 2013."

That says there was one in 2006, so I guess there might well have been
one in 2002.

I thought Part P commenced on jan 1st 2005 ?, though the harmonised
cable colours were on sale before then.