Wild Bill

Default Ceiling fan bicycle generator

Yikes, I haven't seen that website for years.. it's kinda cool that the info
is kept available.
I haven't looked up the motor you're using, but it sounds like it's a
2-phase motor, as Don suggested.
The motors in the article are straight induction motors, and maybe
split-phase motors (although it's a little odd that this wouldn't have been
mentioned), since he stated his generator was a 1 HP pump motor.

All that said, I believe you want to try using a standard induction motor
for your tests of this principle. I'd suggest using an AC powered 1/4" drill
motor to drive your generator, and use a belt & pulleys to increase the
speed for the generator.

WB

" Doug Goncz " wrote in message
In

http://www.google.com/search?q=induc...otor+generator

the first hit we read:

http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

"By adding capacitors in parallel with the motor power leads, and driving

it a
little above the nameplate RPM, (1725 RPM ones need to turn at

approximately
1875 RPM, and 3450 RPM ones at 3700 RPM) the motor will generate AC

voltage! "

Now, my motor already uses a cap with the high resistance coil to produce

rotating field. Does this mean it's not an induction motor and can't

generate?

Or is the combination of cap and coil inductance resonant and I just need

mount it on the bike, attach the chain and a pace meter, compute the gear

ratio
and positive slip speed, then crank at the right pace on the pace meter,

_then_
look for output?

I'd been turning the motor by hand...

I have a drill press but it will only go to 550 rpm. I am planning to buy

slower speed drill press from Harbor Freight, one rated to lower speeds.

But
this is part of a thousand dollar repeat of the self-reproducing milling
machine I made, at larger scale.

The college physics lab has a speed calibrated rotator drivable with

adjustable
power, not at a given speed, but with that limitation, I believe I can get

225
rpm +- 10% for experiments with positive and negative slip.

I used the rotator and my PM DC motor generator connected to 10 D size

NiCd
cells to draw a graph of speed versus power current in and out of the

battery
last year. I computed a power/mph slope and did a paper in Mathcad.

From: Ned Simmons

I'd expect a PM brushless motor would work pretty well as a
3 phase generator.

Yes, they do. Sanyo is having development with their 250 W three phase
motor/controller combo. The hub motor is final, but they will not sell it
without the controller which is still in development. So I pester Mr.

Nakamura
for a motor without controller and he says he'll "get around to it"

meaning no
hub motor yet.

That would really simplify the project.

It's an internally geared three phase brushless, sensorless hub motor

ideal for
use as a generator.

Doug - I think I may have Bodine 3409 stashed here
somewhere that was pulled because it had one bad phase.
You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping if you're
interested in playing with it, and assuming I can locate
it. The voltage constant is 47 volts/1000 RPM, the torque
constant is 57 oz-in/amp. I don't recall if the bad winding
was shorted or open.

Sure, Ned, I'm interested. Is this motor still in production or available
surplus? That's crucial.

What's the shaft size, what's the frame, and what's it weigh?

You can email me your payment address and the freight.

Rabbittool.com advertises the Sanyo hub motor but has nothing to sell.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (
ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/ )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.