Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Bloody Lidl

On 20/09/2020 23:31, alan_m wrote:

You may find that local neighbourhood supermarkets where the need to
drive to the store is not essential for the majority of customers still
use the coin trolley system because so many make the short journey to
home (but seldom come back).

The other benefit for coin deposits for supermarkets with large car
parks is that customers return the trolleys to central trolley parks
rather than just discarding them in the nearest free parking space.

Lidl/Aldi stores being small with car parks to match don't need any
staff to collect trolleys discarded in the car park because they only
have one trolley park - next to the main entrance. Customers have to
return their trolley to this one collection point to free up their pound
coin.

My local ASDA have trolleys that supposedly lock a wheel when you go
over a line of red bricks. I don't think they ever do except when you
don't want them to like in the store.

A nearby Sainsbury's look as if they tried a system where the trollies
have thin-tyred wheels (like they have to stick to travelators) and
fixed travelator-like sections at the exits - I don't think that worked
either.

--
Max Demian