Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Antennae Booster

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:36:44 -0700 (PDT), "Ron D."
wrote:

Antenna is pretty big, A Winegard HD-8200U and the CM-7777 antenna mounted amp.

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-digital-antennas/hdtv-antenna-amplifiers/boost/hd8200u-platinum-hd-series-antenna
https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777v3.htm

Unless you're dealing with weak signals and fringe coverage, a
high gain (26dB in this case) amp is an invitation to overload
problems. Quoting the Channelmaster data sheet:
The Titan 2 High Gain Preamplifier is recommended for
professional installers only. Due to the high gain output
of this product, it can result in over amplification if
not used in the appropriate scenario. Over amplification
can cause issues with the television tuner’s ability to
receive and display some or all channels.
Note that there were 3 radically different versions of the CM-7777
amplifier. Which version do you have?

https://photos.imageevent.com/holl_ands/files/ota//CM7777%20Ckt%20Brd%20Rear%20Photo%20-%20damaged%20rlongfield.jpg
The original Titan 2 amp had a phenolic PCB. V2 had separate
VHF and UHF outputs, while V3 has them combined into one output.
Therefore, my guess is that it's a V2.

The reason why I don't TRUST is I did gain measurements using
a Sencore 8VSB tester. My gain measurements were not consistant,
but they were not done at the same time. I measures the signal
at the antenna and the NEXT day the signal after the power
injector (about 30')

Are you trying to measure amplifier gain using an OTA (over the air)
signal? The amplifier gain is not the same for the VHF and UHF
sections. It's also has some intentional "tilt" in the frequency
response intended to compensate for the higher coax cable losses
at the higher UHF channels.

Gain varied from 15.6 (physical channel 3) and 27.1 for channel 21.
I'm at least 30 miles outside of Philly and aimed toward Philly
stations.

Due to intentional "tilt" in the frequency response, that's too much
"tilt" for the amplifier. CH3 = 60 MHz, CH21 = 512 MHz.
Cable loss for 100ft of RG-6/u is 1.6dB at 60 Mhz and 5.2dB at
512 MHz. Therefore, I would expect to see a corresponding:
5.2 - 1.6 = 3.6dB
difference in gain between CH21 and CH3.
Comparing with your measurement:
27.1 - 15.6 = 11.8dB
Yep, way too much "tilt" in your measurement. Do it again, this time
with a spectrum analyzer and an RF sweep generator.

The rotor also has a bypass braid around it which many people
forget.

What is a bypass braid? I've never heard of the term. Neither
has Google search. Do you mean something like quad shielded
RG-6/u?

A large tree is going to hit by lightning first.

Large height or large girth?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D