Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vines growning from within bushes?

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 13:54:07 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 9/26/2020 12:29 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/26/2020 12:24 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 07:18:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/26/2020 1:24 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:29:24 -0400,
wrote:

That is basically Garlon (Tryclopyr).
It kicks Glyphosate's ass.

Mode of Action: Triclopyr is an auxin mimic or synthetic auxin. This
type of herbicide kills the target weed by mimicking the plant growth
hormone auxin (indole acetic acid), and when administered at effective
doses, causes uncontrolled and disorganized plant growth that leads to
plant death.

Sounds complicated, high-tech, and scarey!

* Glyphosate* kills* plants* by* inhibiting
5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate* synthase* (EPSPS).*** EPSPS* is* a
key* enzyme* in* the* shikimate* biosynthetic* pathway* which* is
necessary for the production of the aromatic amino acids, auxin,
phytoalexins, folic acid, lignin, plastoquinones and many other
secondary products.

There are plenty of weeds that have found a way around that process. I
suspect Monsanto splices a gene from one of them into their
Frankencorn that is immune to glyphosate. I know I have weeds here
that it won't even slow down much. I don't know if it was always that
way or whether they have an acquired immunity. The south does seem to
be where somewhat benign weeds go nuts because of our longer growing
season, lots of sun and lots of water. Something that may seem like a
cute dish garden plant up north can become the weed that ate your yard
here. Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) is a good example. In
Maryland people loved them because it was a potted plant you couldn't
kill. Down here it is a weed you can't kill. Glyphosate has zero
effect on it, no matter what concentration. I have a hill covered with
it. It doesn't really bother me but I do spray for Cogangrass using
glyphosate at 2-3 times label concentration and the snake plant is
still there. It seems to like it.

There is virtually no herbicide that plants don't have some ability to
develop a tolerance for -- the newer ones just haven't had time yet.

And, yes, "Roundup-Ready" crops are genetically engineered to be used
with glyphosate; there are other cropping systems using other herbicides
as well; just so happens Monsanto (now Bayer) was first so gets all the
headlines...

There's nothing that can be shown to be detrimental in the crops
produced using these systems.

According to the manufacturers. There has never been sufficient testing
to prove they are safe. European nations have outlawed some of them for
reasons and set safe levels in food to a fraction of US "safe levels".
There are reports of food products testing far above the legal limits in
the US.

People can read what Erin Brockovich has to say about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-is-killing-us

Or, read about what some toxic substance experts suggest.

" Statement by the International Federation of Gynecology and
Obstetrics (FIGO) Reproductive and Environmental Health Committee: We
recommend that glyphosate exposure to populations should end with a full
global phase out. (7.2019)
Essay in Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health: Is it time
to reassess safety standards for glyphosate based herbicides? (6.2017)
Consensus statement in Environmental Health Journal: Concerns over
use of glyphosate-based herbicides and risks associated with exposures:
a consensus statement (2.2016)
A public comment submitted to the EPA in October 2019 stated that
several research papers support a cancer connection to glyphosate and it
should be banned. The comment was originally submitted under the name of
Patrick Breysse, who is the director of the National Center for
Environmental Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease
Registry (ATSDR) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But after
USRTK inquired about the comment to the EPA, Breysses name was deleted
and the comment was attributed to anonymous. This is the comment:
Numerous studies have linked its use to an increase in lymphomas, and
its time we stopped letting the chemical industry manipulate research
to serve its own interest. U.S. citizens need to trust the Environmental
Protection Agency to operate in our best interest, which means weighing
evidence from neutral scientific sources not vested in the outcome.
Breysse was the ATSDR official who was pressured by EPA officials in
2015 to put a halt to a review of glyphosate toxicity. See background
story and internal EPA emails here.
"
https://usrtk.org/pesticides/glyphos...alth-concerns/

We are the lab rats for the world for this Frankencorn. It is in
damned near everything we eat one way or another.