Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default National abortion rights threatened by new US Supreme Court appointment

On 9/24/2020 2:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2020 2:34 PM, Bod wrote:
On 24/09/2020 18:45, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
The US likes jailing people.

As of June 2020, the United States had the highest number of
incarcerated individuals worldwide, with more than 2.12 million people
in prison.

Big money to be made by the US legal system.Â* Lots of lawyers, judges
and cops.Â* Not counting every thing else.Â* Cost around $ 30,000 or more
each year just to keep someone locked up.

I think many other countries just execute the guilty ,or make the
punishment so bad that not too many break laws that would land them in
prison.

The UK doesn't execute anybody.

Prison rates in the US are the world's highest, at 724 people per
100,000.

At 145 per 100,000, is the imprisonment rate of England and Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...l/nn2page1.stm

I'd like to see some explanation.Â* There are many reasons, good and bad,
that raw numbers don't explain.

Do we have more laws?
Do we jail for petty crimes that others do not?
Do we have longer sentences?
Are we better at prosecuting?
Better at catching criminals?
Are we just lousy at rehabbing?